In light of the continuing spread of the Novel Corona Virus (COVID-19) at record rates in all countries of the world and not producing an effective until this moment, we must be aware of the severity of this disease and effective ways to protect ourselves and others from contracting or transmitting it. The Novel Corona Virus (abbreviated as "COVID-19") is an infectious disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, a new strain of the Corona virus that was discovered at the end of 2019 in China, but COVID-19 spreads faster and is more likely to cause disease than its sibling, the SARS-CoV virus.
How COVID-19 is transmitted?
The COVID-19 virus is easily transmitted from person to person in the following ways:
1. The main way to transmit the COVID-19 virus is through respiratory droplets that are transmitted between people who are close to each other when they are in closed places or in crowded places for long periods. The respiratory droplets spread when people in closed or crowded places sneeze or cough.
2. COVID-19 virus is transmitted when people touch surfaces and objects, such as: Tables, chairs, doorknobs, switches and handrails that have been contaminated by people with COVID-19.
3. The COVID-19 virus is transmitted when infected people talk without mask while they are in places that lack adequate ventilation, noting that a good number of infected people do not show any symptoms indicating that they are infected with the disease. The main symptoms of COVID-19 infection include: Cough, fever, muscle aches, fatigue, loss of the sense of smell and taste, shortness of breath, and gastrointestinal symptoms, such as: diarrhea and vomiting.
Effective ways to protect ourselves and others from infection with COVID-19 virus:
1. Frequently wash your hands with soap and water and use of alcohol hand rubs to get rid of viruses, including the COVID-19 virus, which sticks to the hands when touching surfaces, tables, chairs and door handles and avoid transmitting viruses unconsciously when touching your nose or face.
2. Use of tissue is recommended when coughing or sneezing.
3. Maintain a distance of more than two meters between yourself and other people. To maintain social distancing, hold business meetings using virtual means and avoid going to places crowded with people.
4. Ensure to wear facemask properly at all time.
5. Keep surfaces clean, as the COVID-19 virus can be transmitted from person to person by touching frequently used surfaces, such as: Doorknobs, smart phones, bathroom fixtures, kitchen tables, desks, remote controls, flat surfaces, and areas where respiratory droplets remain contaminated.