For more information you could contact us through:
Get good medical cares beginning early in your pregnancy. There are things you can do to take care of yourself and your baby.
Food and Drinks
- Eat balanced meals that include grain breads, cereals, fruits, vegetables, meat and milk. Avoid fried and high sugar foods.
- Drink 6-8 glasses of water each day.
- Try eating smaller meals more often.
- Avoid or limit food and drinks with caffeine to 1 to 2 cups each day. Caffeine is in chocolate, colas, teas, and coffee.
- Limit your intake of artificial sweeteners, including diet sodas, to 2-3 servings each day. Nutrasweet and Equal (aspartame) and Splenda (sucralose) in small amounts are okay but do not use any saccharin (Sweet ‘N Low)
Total weight gain depends on your pre-pregnant weight, eating habits, exercise and your metabolism. The average weight gain during pregnancy for a normal weight female is 11-16 Kg. You should gain 1-2 kg. in the first 3 months and about ¾ to .750kg per week after that. If you were under or over weight before pregnancy, ask your doctor or dietician about how much weight you should gain.
If you are gaining weight too fast:
- Limit sweets and high fat foods. Choose low fat items, fruit or a small serving of frozen yogurt, sherbert, pudding or jell-o.
- Use very little butter, margarine, sour cream, mayonnaise or salad dressing. Try reduced calorie varieties.
- Avoid fried foods.Choose baked, broiled, grilled chicken, fish or turkey.
- Take you prenatal vitamins each day.
- Check with your doctor or clinic before taking any medicines such as prescriptions, over the counter medicines or herbals.
- Take only medicines prescribed by your doctor.
Alcohol, Smoking and Drugs
- Do not smoke and avoid being in the same room with people who are smoking.
- Do not drink alcohol or take drugs during your pregnancy.
Activity and Sleep
- Get plenty of rest. Try to get 8 hours of sleep.
- Rest throughout the day. It is best to lie on your left side.
- Exercise by walking, swimming or biking for 15-30 minutes each day.
- Learn and practice the exercise from your childbirth class.
- Avoid having x-ray while you are pregnant
- Avoid paints, pesticides, sprays, and other strong chemicals.
- Wash hands well after touching raw meat. Cook meat well.
- Wear seats belts low over your hips.
- Buy well fitting support bras.